Thursday 20 December 2012

The journey begins


Knowing that I might be roughing it for the next few weeks and months and having air miles to spend, I took the plunge and booked my flight to St. Petersburg BA Club class.  London to St. Petersburg is a relatively short haul - about 3 Hours - but even so, I thought I'd treat myself to the experience.

Following passport and security checks I made my way to the privileged sanctuary of the club class lounge, stopping briefly to buy a bottle Jameson's to keep me company and, hopefully, help make some friends on the Trans Siberian train journey to come. The lounge was surprisingly full, however it did give me the opportunity to sort myself out and quickly pen my last blog. Had I wanted, there was an array of food and drink available for the taking, but I contented myself with a cup of Twinnings Earl Grey (another $10 plea...oh no, let's not go there again!)

The flight was called and, again, I was able to make use of my hallowed status and was the first to board the aircraft.  Settling into seat 1F, I was about as near the front of the plane I could get without a pilot's licence. And now the fun starts...I have space and loads of it, so I sit back and enjoy the ride.

BA828 takes off about on time. As we climb east north east, over Twickenham and then Chiswick, is is a fine, clear December morning. I easily pick out Alexandra Palace as we pass over north London and then locate my in-laws house in Epping. Nodding a hello, we then fly over the roof of my own childhood home in Harlow. I can't actually see it as it would be under the airplane, but I know that it is there as I pick out many other familiar landmarks, including the Kitchen household in Berecroft.

Our route is to take us in an almost straight line along the Dutch and northern German coastlines, across Denmark and the Baltic to what, for many years was know as Leningrad. However, as we reach the Essex coast, we climb into cloud and the surface of the planet recedes from my view.

With no land to look at, I unpack my ipad and start typing my blog.

'Hot towel, Mr Mooney?'
          'Yes. Thank you.'
'Would you care for something from the bar, Mr Mooney?'
          But it's only 10am? Ah! But on Russian time...it's mid-day
          'Yes please. A whiskey would be nice. Thank you.'
'And what would sir like for lunch?'...and so it continued. I think I could get used to this jet setting lifestyle. Although, I'm not sure my liver would cope!

Before anyone gets the wrong impression, I've just realised I've already made two references to whiskey and I've hardly left British airspace. It isn't my intention to drink my way to south east Asia! 

One of my biggest failings in planning my trip has been my phenomenal lack of planning..and, indeed, research. So I will end here for the moment and look at my St. Petersburg guide book to a) work out where my hotel is and how the hell I get there from the airport - bearing in mind it will be dark, minus 19c, and Russian when I get there, and b) see how much I can cram into my short visit before moving on to Moscow.

For the time being though, I am going to relax and take my time. After all, I'm not Russian! (Posthumous thanks the Patricia Woodfall for that last joke!)

1 comment: